Thursday, February 1, 2007

Good or Bad?

Today for the first time, a Sheetz in Altoona (the big one on 17th St.) will be allowed to sell beer to the public. The article can be found here. Will this be a good thing for promoting craft beer or not?

I guess it depends on their selection, first of all, then there's going to be the media attention (good/bad), and of course, the outraged handful of citizens in the minority whose 'rights' always seem to supercede the will of the majority. For example, these guys.

4 comments:

Eli said...

Is this the Sheetz right up 220 from Marzoni's?

Nate said...

I think it's the one they built new on 17th Street, right down the road from the Lowes. I may be incorrect, but the one up from Marzoni's (near the Meadows) was a refurbished one.

I remember the press surrounding the new 17th St. Sheetz because they built that one in mind for selling beer.

Crimson Hawks said...

Does anyone know if you need a liquor liscense to open a "brew your own beer," brewery?

Places like this invite people to come in and use their brewing equipment. There are two places that I know of in MA (where I am from). The one place in Natick, MA has a deal if you bring 12 people they have a brew party when they are done and the owner lets everyone drink his brewed beer.

Anyway, a town like Indiana seems like a place like this would do well. If no liquor liscense was required a few local beer lovers could start one easily.

Nate said...

CV - I'm not sure I've heard of any of those in PA. My cousin has used one in Akron, OH. Knowing PA, I'm sure there's some weird law about it :)

Welcome to the blog!